Sunday, July 19, 2009

Priorities

As I sit here pondering what the future may or may not hold, I wonder about where my priorities lie. I like to think that I've got a pretty good handle on what's important, and what is not important. And I like to pretend to myself that I have it all together...but the sad truth is that I don't think I do.

I have a career I adore, a job that I actually look forward to going to, and a family who is extremely supportive of me (to the point of self sacrifice on their part). I have a new Church home that makes me happier Spiritually than I've been in a very long time. And I've lost so much weight that I am almost back to my pre-pregnancy weight (I am back to pre-pregnancy SIZE which is tremendous in and of itself). But in the mix of all this stands the dark cloud over my life : time. I do not have enough time. I do not have enough hours in a day to work, work out, eat, and spend quality time with my children. So here is where I have my question of priorities comes in :

1. How do I fit in my extra-curricular activities (i.e. the gym) and not make my children feel neglected? How can I possibly hope to make fitness important in their lives if I do not set time aside each day to work on my own fitness? But how do I do it in such a way that they are not neglected?

It's also an issue that the things I enjoy most at the gym are (in the following order) : 1. working out with my husband, 2. Group X classes. Michael and I can't work out together after I get off work because the gym is ridiculously busy. And Group X classes are only offered at certain times of the day. I can go to the gym late at night and do elliptical and weights, but then I miss out on time with Michael. This may seem an odd quandary, but it is really important to me nonetheless, and ANY input would be welcome!

1 comment:

The Campbell Family said...

That's a tough balance I'm sure. :/ Not sure if your kiddos are of bike riding age just yet, but that would always be a fun family fitness activity that you could do together and help you get exercise as well as teaching them the benefit/fun of exercise. :)