Tuesday, August 2, 2005

Questions...

I've always been inquisitive by nature. I think my first word MUST have been "Why?" I've always wanted to know how things work, where they come from, why they exist, etc. The same is true of my relationship with God.

I have always questioned God, in what I feel is a healthy way. I know it's healthy, because my questioning always leads me closer to God, rather than further away from Him. I study His word, I study other peoples' words about His Word, and I deduce using my own God-given brain power what must surely have been meant by those words. I listen to men and women who are wiser than me. I ask questions of people who are different than me. I listen to honest responses from people who do not believe there even is a God. I do my best to live my life by example, rather than cramming Christianity down the throats of those who do not believe. I've always been taught, and have always believed, that it is better to live by example than by mere words. After all, how many times have we been told that our "Actions speak louder than words?"

My most recent inquisitive streak has led me straight into the heart of something fearful. Something horrible. Something dark, and mysterious. And I cannot seem to find an answer. Let me rephrase that, I cannot seem to find a CLEAR answer. Anywhere. And I'm at a loss.

This search is : HELL. Does it exist? Who goes there? Why does Hell exist? If Jesus came to bring Salvation to the World because God wants all of His children to return to Him, then why is there such a place as Hell? Is Satan real? And by this, I mean : is Satan some little red demon with a pitchfork and spiky tail? Or does Satan simply refer to the bad things in this world, the "evil" that does exist?

I've run across an interesting branch of Christian Theology, which has been deemed "Unorthodox" by a number of mainline Christians. This is known as Universalism. And you know what, when I began reading more about Universalism and talking to people who consider themselves Universalist Christians, I realized that this philosophy is in direct line with what I have always believed.

But you know what, I'm not sure where my Denomination lies on the subject of Hell. I have never once, in almost 10 years, heard a "hellfire and brimstone" sermon from the Pulpit. I heard plenty growing up, and know that the Churches I visited and grew up in throughout my childhood believed there sure is such a place as Hell and I was gonna go there if I didn't do ___________.

I've searched the Bible. I find passages which relate to Hell, or some sort of place like Hell. But I also find passages that state how much God loves us, and how much He wants us to be with Him. The greatest verse of all, John 3:16, sums it up quite nicely. "For God so loved THE WORLD...." not a little group of people, but the WORLD. This tells me He wants everyone to come to Him.

Where my confusion lies is : does He want everyone to come to Him NOW? Or does He know that (as the writer of Revelation states) "every knee will bow, every tongue confess..." eventually, everyone WILL know Him. So, does Hell exist? Or does everyone get a second chance, even after they die, to believe wholly in Jesus Christ?

Don't get me wrong, I've searched and searched and searched my whole life, and I have never (nor will I ever) turn from God. I have some pretty wacky ideas, which I would be happy to share with you if you ask, but I KNOW Jesus was the Son of God, I KNOW He is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. I just don't know if there is a Hell or not. And I'm confused because part of me wants there to NOT be a Hell, or if there is then it is a temporary one and eventually all the people who are there now will be resurrected into Heaven. But part of me thinks there really ought to be a Hell, reserved only for the most vile of people. Adolf Hitler comes to mind, in fact. Perhaps there is a Hell, reserved only for those who reject Him even in death. Perhaps those who are so offended by His Goodness, that they would rather be tortured for Eternity than confess His name. Satan and his minions, for starters.

I just don't know that this search will ever be complete while I'm still on the earth. It's just too deep, and we haven't enough information from the BIG GUY to make a call ourselves. Perhaps it's a bit altruistic of me to believe that everyone gets the chance to go to Heaven....but I don't care. There are people who are innately good people, they are just a bit misguided.

Or how about Jewish people? There are some of the Jewish Faith that I cannot imagine NOT seeing in Heaven. Or what about Ghandi? Surely a man as good as he was is in Heaven, even if he wasn't a Christian?

8 comments:

ftwskies said...

Try to keep in mind that without God's grace, your sins (and mine) are every bit as detestable to God as Adolph Hitler's were. Aside from God's grace, there are no "most vile" people -- we're all equally vile.

I believe that Satan is real -- in fact, I KNOW he is, because I wrestle with him and his minions all the time. A good book on the subject is "Waking the Dead" by John Eldredge. I encourage you to read it. In fact, I've got a copy you can borrow if you'd rather spend the money on new curtains for the nursery!

I also believe in a place called Hell, because I believe that the human soul is immortal, and because I do not believe that all human souls will end up in Heaven; thus, Hell is (by default) the destination of whichever souls don't end up in Heaven. Jesus says it's a pretty scary place, and I take His word for it because He knows about these things.

I do not believe that God has to be cruel or unkind or unforgiving or ungracious or twisted or bad or mean or anything other than just in order for there to be a place called Hell. Hell is not sadistic punishment or inflicted torture, it is the ultimate Consequence for passing on the opportunities for escape afforded by God during this life.

--Jim <><

Daniel & Zoe's Mommy said...

But do you believe everyone who rejects Him while they live automatically goes to Hell??? Even people who live good, Religious lives? OR do you think they are given a second chance once they die?

And I'd love to borrow that book :)

ftwskies said...

Yes, I do believe that everyone who rejects Him will end up in Hell for eternity. Sad, but true. Again, it's not a matter of Him being vindictive, it's a natural consequence of lacking His grace, which is only extended through faith in Jesus. He's the only ticket out of here. Why? Because nothing anyone could ever do -- no amount of niceness or religiousness -- can do one iota of good to cover their sins in the light of His justice. Doesn't matter if you're you or me or Ghandi or Mother Theresa, without His grace we look like Hitler and Stalin and Saddam to him.

Go read John 10 again. Jesus wasn't shy about being exclusive -- and it gave people cramps just as much back then as it does today.

Find me on Sunday for the book. I'm usually in the lower annex for class and then we sit a ways back behind the teens and singles for worship.

-Jim <><

Daniel & Zoe's Mommy said...

I just have a real hard time reconciling in my mind that a God who sent His only son to die for EVERYONES sins would turn His back on ANYONE. I realize it's our choice to follow Him or not, but what of the misguided who don't have Jesus as a Reality in their lives? Are they punished for simple ignorance with a lifetime of torment? THat's probably the hardest part for me.

What of the people who are just as convinced that Jesus was NOT the Son of God, as we are convinced that He was? Don't they get a chance at the end of their lives to get the Truth?

ftwskies said...

I understand your sentiment; I wish there wasn't a Hell and that everybody would be saved. But the only way that could happen would be for God to forsake His own holy and sinless and perfect and just nature. He doesn't want anybody to miss the boat, but He cannot deny Himself, either. So He sent His Son Jesus to give us a way out of our predicament.

A few things bear pointing out: First, sin is our problem, not His. If some do in fact perish in ignorance (which is not for me to judge, but for God, who judges justly; though Paul argues against ignorance in Romans 1) this reflects more upon us who knew and didn't tell them more than it does upon God, no? Second, life here on Earth is not about us, it's about Him. This is His epic tale we're living in, not our own. So who are we to criticize Him for being just? The God you serve is loving, but He is also just. He's the God of Jonah, but He's also the God of Noah. That He does punish sin in no way diminishes His love or His grace -- in fact, it amplifies it. Because He doesn't have to give a flip about any of us. But He does -- enough to send His Son.

There really is plenty of scriptural basis for a belief in Hell and the judgement at the end of time. Jesus himself was very direct about the reality of Hell and the judgement and Himself as the one and only Way to be saved. Was Jesus being straight with us when He taught about the narrow path and the wide road, or the wheat and the tares, or the sheep and the goats? Think it through -- is there scripture to support the contrary, or is it just a feeling based upon a perception of God's nature? Is it based on a true revelation of God, or upon our own wishful thinking about what we think He should be like?

For further consideration, I'd point you towards this article.

God bless,
Col 1:9-14,
--Jim <><

Daniel & Zoe's Mommy said...

OK, I see Scripture where it seems cut and dried that there is a Hell, but I also see where that same Scripture can be read as more ambiguous. There is Scripture which points towards there being no Hell, and towards all being saved.

So, do Christians go to Heaven first, and after the Apocalypse when "every knee shall bow every tongue confess" everyone else gets to Heaven?

Thanks for the straightforward answers, but I'm afraid I'm still as confused as ever!

Anonymous said...

try:
http://pantheon.yale.edu/~kd47/univ.htm

Danny Sims said...

Hey Courtney... Call me and let's talk. Great questions.