Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Indescribable

Today the completely unexpected happened to me. I was in line at Garden Ridge, ready to pay for my $37 worth of stuff. I had both kiddos with me, and I had ventured there by myself. Brave? Yeah, I know! But that’s not the unexpected part! I handed the cashier my debit card, and turned around to catch Daniel as he was trying to take off. I gave Zoe the toy she kept knocking off her stroller, and when I straightened up the cashier asked me, “ma’am I need to see your ID.” Of course. I did not HAVE my ID with me in the store, because I don’t generally make a practice of taking it in with me. I’m not sure why I don’t, I just don’t. So I said something to the effect of, “you’re kidding me! It’s in my car but I can’t go all the way back out there with both of them and then all the way back in. None of this stuff is necessary right now, I’ll just come back later. Sorry to bother you.” The woman in the next lane hands me a twenty dollar bill. She smiles and says “I don’t know how much your bill is, but here!” And the woman in line behind me says “here’s my credit card, and here’s my ID to prove I’m me!” These two complete strangers paid my totally unnecessary Garden Ridge bill. But they don’t know what they actually did. They renewed my faith in humankind. Honestly. I told the woman behind me that really she didn’t need to do that. Her answer? “I know, I WANT to. I saw your little boy’s face when you picked up those pumpkins. Consider it a Birthday present for your little girl.” I managed to get her first name : Sue. So, God Bless Sue and the other angel in human clothing today at Garden Ridge. You touched me beyond belief. And, thanks to you I don’t have to go back for light up jack o’lanterns and decorations for Zoe’s birthday party. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!! Amazing that there are still good people in this world who will do an unexpected kindness for a total stranger.

No comments: