Monday, October 31, 2005

Halloween

What's the big deal with Churches and "Halloween?" Daniel goes to a 2 day a week pre-school at our Church. He loves it, it's good for him, and he's making friends (he even has a little girlfriend, so I'm told). But today they never made mention of Halloween. There was no Halloween party to go to at the school. That makes me kind of sad. I know there are parents who don't "allow" their children to "celebrate" Halloween. We aren't those parents. In fact, Daniel is going to do his first Trick or Treating with his Daddy tonight. He's Tigger (I'll post pictures later tonight), and he's the absolute cutest little guy around. But back to the original topic : why do Churches make such a big deal? Why are Halloween carnivals called "Fall Festivals?" Why not just say : "Celebrate Halloween in a safe environment, and maybe learn a little bit about Jesus in the process?" OK, so that's a little long...but why are we so shy about the word "Halloween?" Seriously. I know it used to be a pagan ritualistic holiday....but now what is it? A night to dress up in a costume and get candy. There's nothing pagan about that, is there? Oh well maybe there is....but come on, it's just a day. At least it's a "real" holiday....not like Valentine's Day....;)

2 comments:

Jenn said...

I just wanted to take the time to share some of my thoughts about it with you because I believe that this is an issue that concerns all of our families.

Let me state upfront that I don’t believe there’s anything wrong with dressing up in costumes and exchanging candy. However, at its core, Halloween represents much more than just a simple and innocent expression of fun. In actuality, Halloween is a celebration that focuses on the forces of evil. Much of the lore behind Halloween is all about ghosts, goblins, death and the spiritual forces of darkness. Many symbols linked with Halloween are connected to witchcraft, which the Bible clearly instructs us to avoid.

Alot of churches offer an alternative for families and the community. They welcome families to get involved and bring their children dressed up in costumes which don’t depict evil, death or anything scary. They have games and fun activities available for you and your family to enjoy in a wholesome and Godly atmosphere.

I would like to ask you to seriously pray about your family’s participation in Halloween. And as you pray, please consider an alternative activity for your family such as a Fall Festival.

Thank you for taking time to read this and pray about this issue.

Daniel & Zoe's Mommy said...

Actually, Halloween originally had nothing to do with pagan rituals and witches, it was originally a "Dia de los muertos," or, "Day of the dead." It was more of a funereal celebration, remembering people who had passed. It morphed into a night where it was widely believed that witchcraft could be performed. And then, it morphed into what it was when I was a child : a night to dress up and trick or treat with your friends. Now, it's a night where parents are afraid to allow their children to go door-to-door, for fear of what may be lurking behind one of those doors. So, I understand the premise behind the Church carnivals, but that doesn't stop me from being disappointed that my children will never know the unabashed excitement that comes from scavenging your neighborhood (or your friends' neighborhoods, if they give better candy) for yummy treats, then coming home and separating it into piles : eat now, save, and give away (that's where I always put those nasty bit o'honey -- WHAT, exactly, are those things and does anyone actually eat them?)

So, while I appreciate your concerns, please rest assured that neither me nor my family practices wicca/witchcraft/etc on Halloween or on any other night. Though, I must admit to attempting to summon spirits using a Ouija board more than once, and I ADORE Harry Potter.