Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Mommy Test Number One

How do you handle a sick baby? Undivided attention, right? Well, then, how do you handle TWO sick babies?? That's a good one....today Daniel is running a 101.5 fever, Zoe has his cold (green yucky stuff coming out of her nose when I suction it), and Mommy is tired. But so what? It makes me deliriously happy to care for my children. Am I insane? Maybe...but I can't help it! I admit it, though, I feel a little helpless because I want to protect my children and here I "let" my 2 week old newborn get a cold on top of her fragile immune system and recovering lungs. AND to top it off I "let" Daniel get a fever, I "let" him get a cold, and I "let" him give it to Zoe. Why are we so hard on ourselves? Is it a lack of consecutive hours of sleep? If so, why do I wake feeling like 2 hours of total sleep is enough? Is it the pain we feel because we do too much just two weeks after major surgery? Maybe. Or maybe it's just the natural reaction to being a parent. Maybe as parents we ache when our children ache, because of our connection to them....maybe this is a great commentary on our Heavenly Father. If we ache this much when our earthly children are sick, how much more does He ache when we hurt? I can't even fathom it.

1 comment:

Wezie said...

you will have many more "mommy tests"...wait until all four of you are throwing up and having diarreah at the same time....