Saturday, February 18, 2006

Pitching a Tent....

I don't know if you've heard about the Youth Minister who had the Freudian slip about Lot "pitching a tent" but here is an email I found he'd written to someone, and a link to the video of his slip up. Like we haven't all made mistakes before...

—–Original Message—–
From: Blake Bergstrom
Sent: Wed 9/14/2005 9:31 AM
Subject: if you thought the audio was funny..wait till you see my face on the video!!

Hi there,

Wow…I never knew that I’d be famous for my theology on“TENTS and how to PITCH them”!! If you ever need a speaker for yourcamps or retreats, my specialties are subjects that most people “feel uncomfortable with”…I’m the kind of guy that just speaks what really “needs to be heard”…I really get to the “heart of the matter”…” whateverybody’s thinkin’ but nobody will say”!! HEHEHE

My name is Blake and I am a High School Pastor at an awesome church inParker, Colorado, even though they don’t claim me anymore. I recently sent out an email about a sermon I was preaching and I explained that I was going through a series called, “Ignite”, which was a series fromFellowship Church in Grapevine, TX. However, the way that I tackled the account of Lot was probably a little different slant than the way that Ed Young preached it!!!! In fact, he didn’t hold a candle to the waythat I “undressed that passage”…I threw him under the table!! (I’msure he’ll read this, so let me say this publicly…” I did a much betterjob of preaching your sermon than you could ever dream!!!)

So, in case you didn’t get the first audio clip that circled the globe over night, then you’ll need a little explaining. I was doing a quickrecap of the series and I was explaining to my students that bad companycorrupts good character and that we shouldn’t “pitch our tents” to closeto evil. Let me warn you though, that my version of the Bible might notread quite like yours. Dude, you try and say it out loud…it’s hard tosay, alright…so get off me!!! It’s amazing how switching around oneletter like an “N” can change the entire phrase!!! The look on my face after I said it is absolutely priceless. Push pause after I “let it fly” and look at the horror in my eyes…my left eye actually crosses…funny stuff!!!!!!!

So, since there have been hundreds of requests for the video, here itis!!! Now, while I’ve got you here, I just want to thank you for allyour emails confirming the fact that I’m an idiot!! I’m going down in ablaze of glory on this one…I’ll forever be known as the pinching ____guy!! I’m trying to embrace this new identity, but to be honest I’m notreal sure I’m diggin’ it! What’s become of me…my parents,grandparents, my children, and my poor wife will have to carry thislegacy for years to come. They had such incredible dreams for mylife…they wanted me to be a well-polished and dignified–”Prince ofall Preachers”…well, maybe I did become that in my own way…I don’tknow!! All I know to say is…”Thank God for His GRACE!!!” Aftertalking with God about this whole thing, He let me know that when ithappened… all of heaven fell to their side, they started beating theground, with tears streaming down their face, and Lot was running aroundpinching himself, and all the heavenly hosts roared with laughter…justlike you did!!!!
God’s favorite character,

Blake Bergstrom
High School Pastor
Southeast Christian Church

And the video

I must say, I agree with the comment that says Pastor Bergstrom handled himself very well in the email response. The video is funny, but I really hope that the Church did not actually fire him. I'm in the process if trying to find out. Although I must admit, studying is my top priority right now ;)

What do you think?

3 comments:

Danny Sims said...

Kind of like "we've all sineed and fallen short..." you can say "We've all messed up and fallen short..."

If they fired him there mustr be more to the sotry. Maybe he had a poor attitude about it afterwards? Who knows?

Daniel & Zoe's Mommy said...

I did actually find out that he was not fired, but the sound byte circled the globe overnight. The story is kind of funny though....I can't imagine if someone was watching me that closely...

Katherine said...

The first time I saw that I about died laughing-I showed it to everyone here and they loved it too. It still cracks me up-it is by far one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

Hope you are doing well!! God bless~