Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Breakfast For Dinner.....

I call this recipe "Mama Root's Super DOOPER Breakfast Casserole :

1 lb cooked crumbled sausage (I use Owen's HOT)
4 eggs
2 cups shredded cheese
2 cups milk
1 cup bisquick

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place cooked sausage in the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish. Mix all other ingredients together and pour over the sausage. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes (roughly....can take a little longer!)

I LOVE cooking breakfast for dinner....and I enjoy this recipe (THANKS DEBORAH!!) but I sometimes "trick it up" so to speak. Some variations I've tried (and some I haven't yet but can't WAIT to try) :

* Instead of using sausage, I use bacon sometimes for a change of pace
* Sometimes I finely chop 5 or 6 regular russet potatoes (skin off) into what I call "Communion wafer size potatoes" and substitute that for the meat...I saute them in melted butter and Lowry's seasoned salt before placing them in the dish
* Instead of using boring cheddar, mix it up with a smoked provolone, or gouda or maybe some swiss emmenthal....
* Add finely chopped red bell peppers for a "brunch-y" feel minus the pretention
* Finely cubed cooked ham is a nice meat here as well
* Add multiple meats AND potatoes AND red peppers, AND mix up the cheese for a casserole WONDERLAND!!! :)

Regardless of how you do it, this recipe is quick and easy. And my children (and everyone else who's tried it) LOVE it!!

*****I still need some help on the ankylosaurus.....now I'm thinking of scrapping it all and going for the T-Rex at least I KNOW I can make that costume.....********

2 comments:

Katherine said...

Aw, man-I miss Mama Root's super dooper breakfast casserole-it was the best! I loved it when we would have breakfast at their house. Yum! Thanks for the recipe!

Hope you find what you need for the costume-I don't have much to offer-sorry.

Let me know what you are thinking about a reunion. It is funny you would mention that-as I have heard from Tobi and James on facebook within the last few days.

Kristen Ballard said...

Sounds good!!! Love the variations that you included.