Tuesday, January 16, 2007

There ARE a few things I'm not any good at...Part One

Well, there you have it. An admission of guilt. There are a few things in this world that I absolutely suck at. I'm pretty good at a few things, and really horrible at others. One of these things I suck at is starting a fire in the fireplace!! I can light a fire log, but I cannot get a hunk of wood cut from a real tree to start burning! Mostly they just smolder in there and smoke a lot. Yes, the flue is open...thanks for asking! The firestarter logs burn really really well, but I cannot get a real log to catch fire. Anyone have any suggestions??

2 comments:

Jenn said...

yes!

two layers:

1st layer:
fake log in back, real log in front

2nd layer:
another real log

ouila!
lights EASILY and the fake log is hidden in the back so it looks beautiful!

where is your job? you didn't post about your job!

Smockity Frocks said...

Hi Courtney,

I've been reading here a while, but never commented. I had to come out of hiding for this one, though. My husband is a fire building genius! He could give seminars!...if there were fire building seminars.

His secret is strategically placing the logs in sort of an assortment of triangles so that there is plenty of air space between each one. The flames can leap up between the gaps and catch each log on fire. Then, when it's time to add more, he pushes the one that's going best to the back and adds new logs to the front. The back burner catches the new ones eventually.

See? Genius, I tell you.

I enjoy reading about your kids!