Friday, January 19, 2007

They never tell you that

Something they never tell you in nursing school : you LOVE the first time someone refers to you as "the nurse." It feels A-MAZING!!!! Today was my first day as a nurse, and I gotta tell you people, it was unbelievable!! I feel as though I was meant to do this!! This is what I was born to do : be a Mommy, and be a Nurse. Seriously. My job? Not really my first choice, no. But I think it'll be rewarding in its own way, because these people really NEED me…not in a way that trauma patients need their nurse, and not in the way an ICU patient needs constant supervision…no, these people need me on a whole different level. They've achieved a point in their lives where some of them might feel like less of a person than they used to be. Some are incontinent, some cannot put together a coherent sentence, and others can't understand what you're saying because of the disease processes going on in their aged bodies. So they need me, because I am unbiased. I am caring. I am honest. I am the one person in their lives who can make a difference EVERY DAY. I'm their Nurse. The job is hard, and it's (for the most part) thankless. There is no glory in nursing homes. And for that I'm glad. No heroics. Nope, it's just good old fashioned loving and caring and giving of oneself. I didn't realize that before today. So, nursing home nursing NOT my first choice but now that I'm doing it? I see why the need is so strong. SOMEONE has to care for these people! They are somebody's mommy, granny, pop-pop, and daddy. They deserve all the dignity I can help them achieve, and by golly I'm going to help them achieve it!!


Now to get onto my organizational skills…handling this many patients is more difficult than it would seem!!





OH, and by the way???? I checked the BNE website today!! I'm official...you can look me up at http://bne.state.tx.us/

No comments: