Saturday, July 9, 2005

If man has dominion over all things....

Which it states in Genesis that he does.....so, if that is true I have a question.

Why must creatures get into our house, outsmart us by evading our "humane" traps (which we buy first), not eating our special poisons (which we buy second), and totally skipping over the in-expensive "tried and true" spring traps (which we buy at the same time as we buy the poison)? Why must we then *last resort* buy the super sticky glue traps which inevitably work...it just seems so sad and strange to me.

All this to say : we had a mouse problem. I stress had, because after a few months we have finally rid our home of the pestilence. Albeit a cute pestilence, but a pestilence nontheless.

This has led me to thinking : why don't they go into the "humane" traps (catch and release) so they don't die in "inhumane" ways? Why am I concerned about "humane" vs "inhumane" when it comes to a filthy, nasty, disgusting rodent? Just because he's grey, tiny, and somewhat resembles Jerry doesn't mean that I should feel sorry for him, does it? I don't really know what to think.

This track *naturally* led me to begin thinking about the Plagues on Egypt. Why didn't God send a plague of mice? Did mice not exist? Why did rats carry the Bubonic Plague (aka "Black Death") during the Dark Agest? How long have rats and mice existed? They look fairly evolved, so what did they evolve from? Don't most things get bigger as they evolve? I would think that whatever mice evolved from were really tiny. Or did they just appear one day, looking all mousey and whatnot?

If this line of thinking seems a little *off* to you, then you don't know me very well! Just as Michael, I'm always wandering off on little sidetrips, wherever my mind wants to take me....it's a scary place, but I already told you that!

No comments: