Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Oh sweet begonias.....I pity myself today

There has long been a child rearing "device" that I have seen and thought "oh dear...that poor kid" and I've felt pity for the parent with that child.

But today....at the Zoo.....I realized that I just might become one of those parents I pity. Because I actually thought : I NEED ONE OF THOSE!! Do you know what it is?


A baby leash. A "tot along." A harness for your toddler. Daniel wanted to get out of his stroller and play in the misters at the Gorilla exhibit. So, being the loving, doting mother that I am : I let him. He's fast! He wouldn't hold my hand, and I didn't want to hurt him by yanking on his arm, so I let him go and followed him closely all the while pulling that stupid, heavy stroller along with me....all 6 months pregnant, sweaty in the 90+ degree heat....and, God help me, I thought "Wow, I could really use one of those leashes for kids." Of course, I immediately retracted the thought. But alas, it lingers on still.

So, ask yourself : will I be toting a tot along at the next zoo outing? Most likely, no....but if I happen to be at Babies R Us and they're on sale....it may be something I purchase. Along with a shirt that reads "My child is ONLY wearing this harness because he refuses to hold my hand...and he's only 17 months old, so please don't think he's a discipline problem and please don't pity me." Or something to that effect.

Expect photos if that ever does happen :)

2 comments:

Daniel & Zoe's Mommy said...

Absolutely. You're never too old for a harness, I always say :)

Jenn said...

it is hard! poor you. i have been there done that. unfortunately it only gets worse with two. i had to, after being so nice, just finally not let them out. keep them buckled in the stoller and take them both out at times when the stroller was "parked". sad, but necessary...