Thursday, June 29, 2006

VBS Night 4 and Superman Returns (*EDIT: MY 200TH POST!!*)

Well, cowbell man did not make a return tonight, but that's OK. Someone else did and it was great!

Michael and I went to see "Superman Returns" at the South Freeway theatre. Normally I love that theatre. I've seen "Over The Hedge," "Cars," and "X-Men 3" there lately. And all of those experiences have been lovely. Last night the show was at 10:45 (after VBS). First of all, the movie is quite near 3 hours long...so be prepared. We weren't. :0)

Second, don't buy popcorn that late at night, apparently......it was all smooshed pieces and kernels. I was so disappointed, because I had been craving that popcorn!! So I'm planning a little phone call because I had to throw away an entire large bucket of popcorn because when the movie was over, there wasn't a single person who worked there to be seen! So, Michael in the spirit of being Michael, said "just trash it and complain later." So I basically wadded 6 bucks up and chunked it in the trash!

Third, the movie itself : we were in there with roughly 4 other people. Kind of a bummer since it was it's opening day! But at least it beat the alternative. We did feel kind of sheepish, though, for buying our tickets ahead of time on Fandango. Of course, had we not done that, the movie would have been sold out. That's the way it always happens to us. I thought the movie was brilliant. I'm sure Michael will say I'm going overboard, but I thought it was great. Brandon Routh was great as Superman, and Kate Bosworth was a pretty Lois Lane. She wasn't drop dead gorgeous, but then Lois Lane isn't supposed to be, now is she? Kevin Spacey....OH MY GOODNESS....I thought he was amazing! He was evil, with just the right amount of humour. Parker Posey was amusing, but a bit too petulant for my taste. I did enjoy the truth in her emotion, though. I've always admired her work. I thought overall it was a solid film. It's one of those I'll buy on DVD when it comes out, because A) I liked it, and B) The Superman franchise is just one of those you have to own if you have kids.

And, speaking of kids : to those of you with kids who border on the PG-13 rating, I'd suggest you think twice before taking them to see this movie. There is a wicked violent scene that had me in tears. I know that was the point, but still.....it's not for the very young. So please, don't take your 7 year olds to see the movie then get mad because nobody told you there was violence in it! It has a very well-deserved PG-13 rating. It's nowhere close to R, though, and NO bad language. Surprising, and kind of refreshing.

Overall, I give it an A+, and two thumbs way, way, WAY UP!! :) Go see "Superman Returns," but don't expect a repeat of "Batman Begins," because they really stuck to the story in this one, they didn't just start all over. At least I can only assume they stuck to the story.....I've never read the comic books and it's been ages since I saw the original movie.

Off now to dream about my own Fortress of Solitude....

1 comment:

Reel Fanatic said...

I think it's kind of a shame they made the scene you're referring so brutal, because kids could learn a lot from this great movie .. for me it's definitely the flick for this summer!