Friday, June 2, 2006

Dementia

is the cruelest disease. No matter what it turns into, or is caused by, dementia is the cruelest disease. Not knowing who your loved ones are when you see them is awful, but watching family members change without them even knowing it has to be worse. We just finished a rotation at James L. West, which is an Alzheimer's Care facility here in Funky town. It was rewarding. It was sad. It was depressing. It was uplifting. It was interesting. And it was enlightening. I learned a lot, and I could actually see myself working there....scary huh? Not at all what I truly "want" to do, but it's something I could see myself making a career out of. I've always had a passion for Alzheimer's research and finding a cure..... Could James L. West be my future? I don't really know. I'll apply, but I'm not done searching for my true desires. I want to work with children. But if I can't, I'll love to work for and with the demented.

We made nurses' caps tonight out of poster board. It was a neat feeling, and I am more and more proud each day of who I am becoming..... It makes me smile.

1 comment:

Katherine said...

That is so great that you are able to pursue what you love and can look back and see who and what you are becoming, and be happy with it. I really do not think there is a better feeling-I am finally getting to that point.

Praying that satan will stop attacking-I have been in that war a lot lately. Good news is he has already ultimately been defeated!!

Love ya-we need to catch up next time I am in town!! It has been way too long...can you believe it has almost been 10 years since we have been out of high school? Wierd stuff...

God bless~