Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Is God the same yesterday, today and tomorrow?

I've been pondering this of late, because I have had a semi-difficult time reconciling the God of the Old Testament (who appears angry, vengeful, and jealous) with Jesus and how He is portrayed in the New Testament (giving, loving, sometimes righteously angry, but never vengeful).

So I asked my Pastor his thoughts on this, and he introduced me to something called "Open Theology" which is interesting to me, and the more I read the more I like it.

But then I started thinking, what if Jesus (as the Son of God) was just a little bit different and more "open minded" than his Dad? Doesn't that sometimes happen in families? But then I remind myself "silly, Jesus IS God....He was just Word made Flesh." But I get confused again (easy to do, I know) because the Bible states that Jesus sits at the Right Hand of God....so does that mean that since Jesus was born into this world as a man that when He died, was resurrected, and then went up to Heaven that He is a separate person from God? And as Christians we still worship GOD, but we believe our Salvation is through Jesus Christ. Or am I totally off base?

So my question is this : we worship GOD, His son is Jesus. In the Old Testament God was a very, very angry God. In the New Testament Jesus preaches to love they neighbor....so which is it? I guess my confusion doesn't end there but my thoughts will for today. Anybody got any thoughts? Surely I'm not the only person who feels this way?

4 comments:

Jenn said...

one thought only... didn't your world get better once your son came into it as well??? :) i know mine did!

Daniel & Zoe's Mommy said...

Well, sure but here is my question : and part of my confusion (I guess). If Jesus is the SON of God, but He is also GOD, then is He a separate being altogether?

Jenn said...

it's called the Trinity, God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit. i know you know this, i'm not trying to sound condiscending. they are altogether and separate.

Joe said...

He is NOT a separated being. He is God incarnate. God took on the very flesh of man to demonstrate His love for us. In the Old Testament He was just as loving as He is in the new. In fact, the whole Old Testament is about Jesus. To miss that is to miss the whole point. In the lion's den, in the firey furnace, etc. Soon I will post a blog about Jesus in the entire Bible. Be watching...maybe it will help. In His Name, Joe