Thursday, September 22, 2005

Hurricanes....

There is nothing like a natural disaster to send people into a panic spiral. The Albertson's by our house is out of gas. I don't know why, exactly, but I can only assume that people are afraid of gas prices rising after Rita hits.

A drive that should take 4 hours is taking people over 12 hours. They've closed 45 South and opened all 8 lanes to Northbound evacuees. I can't begin to imagine the horror the New Orleans evacuees are feeling at the prospect of being in yet another Cat 4 storm, with the potential to be a Cat 5 by Saturday afternoon.

What causes hurricanes? What causes them to be so vicious? We should be thankful, I suppose, that they are something that can be anticipated unlike so many other so-called "acts of God." After all, there's no other natural disaster that we can plan for like we can for a hurricane. As long as everyone does their part, all of the people should be out of harm's way long before the storm actually hits. I say SHOULD, simply because you are going to always have the stubborn hang ons who insist they can "weather" the storm. And it's difficult to find as much pity in my heart for these people as I'd like.

I don't know what to think about this hurricane. I pray that everyone gets out of there and when Rita does hit, with her full wrath, that there will be nobody left for her to destroy. I just sincerely hope that everyone gets out of harm's way before the storm hits. After all, we've had plenty of advance warning.

No comments: