Saturday, January 7, 2006

A Very Good Point

Danny brought up a good point yesterday in a comment he left. It was a joke, but it's something I've heard a LOT...."What exactly do you do all day, since you're at home?" This question, when asked seriously, kind of makes me mad. For two reasons : 1. I'm a HORRIBLE housekeeper, but dang it I TRY. 2. WHAT time??? Normally the people who ask this either a) don't have children, or b) are super moms....and/or have housekeepers. I envy the moms I know who have more than one child and still manage to keep their houses clean, laundry put away, and toys put up. You know the type : you can surprise them at their house, and it still looks like it could be photographed for "House Beautiful." They have two kids, 18 months apart and both still in diapers....or, even more annoying : their oldest child (who just so happens to be a boy) is already potty trained, and he's not even two yet! My son, on the other hand, will sit (fully clothed, mind you) on his Fisher Price potty and say "pee pee!" But he doesn't get the concept quite yet. The Super Mom, when she surprises you at your house looks around disdainfully because you have a) laundry on the couch and sitting around the couch in laundry baskets (hey! at least it's all clean and semi-folded...Daniel likes to "help" fold laundry) and b) your kitchen still has the dishes from last night and groceries from two days ago (still in their sacks) on the island. You apologize for the mess (WHY??? SHE is the one who surprised you!!) and frantically struggle to clean up. Only then do you realize it's 3:00 in the afternoon, you're still in your pajamas (lucky if the top buttons aren't unbuttoned for easy nursing access for the newborn), and your son is running around in just his pajama top and a diaper (which may or may not be sagging with wetness due to his irritability at being changed). And then you smack your head because she didn't surprise you, you had a playdate arranged....should have written it on the calendar....if only you knew where the calendar was!

Gee, what do I do with all the time I have???? :)

4 comments:

Joanie said...

Hey...I'm right there with ya, Sistah...and I just have one kiddo!

I've always said being a stay-at-home mom is the best job I've ever had AND the hardest job I've ever had. I do have this one comment...don't sweat it on the potty training deal. Sounds like Daniel is doing exactly what he should be doing...talking about it but not even ready to do it. Blake's a few month's older than Daniel and we aren't even going to push anything for a few more months.

I know how much time you don't have, because I have more than you and I don't have any extra!

Daniel & Zoe's Mommy said...

Thanks ladies, it really helps to know that I'm not the only one! :)

Anonymous said...

If I were to shudder when I came to your house (and I might shudder) it wouldn't be because of my disdain for your mess -- it would be from flashbacks of living through that time in my life! It WILL pass, your kids will grow, and SOME things you will not miss when they're gone!

Alice McD

Danny Sims said...

Moms are heroes.