Saturday, July 29, 2006

Pirates of The Caribbean : Dead Man's Chest

Michael and I went to see this movie last night. In a word? Awesome. Let's start with the double entendre of the movie's title itself. Dead Man's Chest....when you see the movie you'll understand the brilliancy of this title. Great.

For the movie itself?? Incredible. Cinematography is great, the fight scenes were good....I'll let Michael comment on those, he's better qualified than I am. Suffice it to say for now that I thought they were great!! People who had a problem with Johnny Depp....PUH-LEEEZE!! He's great. He's funny, charismatic, and different. So he's a little popsy, who cares? So he sashays when he walks, who cares? So he looks like a death metal rocker, who cares? Not me!! The fact that he makes no bones about his inspiration is good. But people treat that like it's some sort of a crime, like he isn't coming right out and saying that yeah, Keith Richards is his inspiration for Captain Jack Sparrow! It's not like he's hiding that fact. Leave him alone, OK? He's funny!!

Legolas (I don't know his real name), aka Will Turner is cute. I don't mean his looks, but his character. You feel for him, he's so brave. But really it's Keira Knightly who's the true brave soul. Their relationship is nice, but you hope for more. That's all I'll say on that one.

The movie is gory. Not like blood and guts gory, but it's kind of graphic. Davy Jones is disgustingly creepily awesome looking. His undead crewmen are REALLY graphic. The shark-headed guy is weirdly appealing. Not sure why.....

This movie DEFINITELY deserves it's PG-13 rating, and I'd even say a STRONG PG-13. This movie is NOT for kiddos younger than 13. And PLEASE don't take your really little ones to this movie, you'll just give them nightmares!!

The Kracken is cool. The Flying Dutchman is cool. Don't expect the movie to wind up its storyline! I looked at the clock at 9:15 and wondered how in the heck they were going to wrap it up in fifteen minutes. But they didn't. It's ready for the sequel. And so am I!! Bring it ON!!! I can't wait.....all in all a really, really, really good movie. A+

No comments: