Sunday, July 23, 2006

Something REAL

Everybody spends their lives searching for something real, myself included. Nothing we have is really ever good enough for us, so we're constantly searching for something more. I suppose that's because when we're finally content with what we have, we're afraid something better just MIGHT come along, and if we become complacent where we are, we might miss an opportunity. I don't know if that's a fact or not, it's just a theory I'm tossing out there.
Take me for instance, I spent the better part of my life waiting for the other shoe to drop. Or waiting for something better to come along. Right around the corner, I just knew, something better was waiting. All I had to do was run full speed towards the unseen better thing. Occasionally I would find something and, thinking it to be somehow "better" I'd embrace it. Other times I'd run smack into a brick wall and knock myself silly. For whatever reason I'd always get back up and continue in that same direction. Why?? Not sure, really. Probably something to do with my hormonal imbalance?? Gee, I don't know.

Take turning 16, for instance. When you're the youngest person in your class turning 16 seems like such a badge of honor....you're the last one to drive, all your friends are driving now, and you're not. You still have to rely on everyone else to cart you around...YOU want to drive fast down Bryant Irvin road like Julie Goodwin does. But you can't. Because you're only 15. So you hope and you cross your fingers and you beg the year to fly by so you can turn 16 and get that precious piece of plastic or paper or whatever the heck it is. All the time not realizing that roughly ten years later you'll be praying just as hard that the year will slow down, that the days will drift lazily by because each day that flies by is one less day you have to spend with your precious family and children. But no matter how much you pray, how much you beg, time always goes slower when you're 15 about to turn 16 than when you're 26 about to turn 27, and all you want in the whole world is every second you can spend with your precious family to drift like a cobweb on a spring breeze.

OK, seriously though....THAT, my friends is as real as it gets. Family. So make the most of each day that you have, be happy with what you have and if you're not happy, then make strides to change it!! Don't settle. Don't think that what you've got is all you'll ever have. Just realize that each day is a gift from GOD, and today is all we know that we have. Give a hug. Give a kiss. Give someone a flower that you picked just for them. And for goodness' sake, take time out of each day just to appreciate the things around you that are REAL. I promise you, things you once took for granted will make you smile from head to toe when you think about them that way!!

Hope you have a Blessed Day.....

3 comments:

Andrew McAllister said...

You're right about the family part. I went to this huge business convention once in a hotel ballroom - big projector system, big screen, big executive giving the kickoff address - you get the picture. His first slide said:
"It's the people, stupid!"

We are built to be social creatures and are at risk of considerable unhappiness if we start living otherwise. Thanks for the positive message.

Danny Sims said...

Nice post. True, true.

Is this a new look? I like it.

Katherine said...

Oh, Julie Goodwin-ha ha, remember the squeezing? ;)

Great post-so true, I cannot believe we have already been out of high school for almost 10 years-where does the time go? I think I am realizing more and more each day how precious everything is, how blessed I am, and how each new day is a great gift. It is a great realization!!

Blessings~